Friday, September 13, 2019

The List: I am here.

Greetings,

So people often ask me how I am doing and what's going on with my health. I usually give the short answer that "I am fine." or that "I am doing OK." For the most part, at that point in time when they ask it is mostly the truth. I don't usually tell all of the truth because it would take too long and would feel too much like complaining in my books and I just don't like doing that. I tell people for empathy not sympathy, I tell people for explanation of what's going on and not much more.

Just for a change I figure I will give some detail as to what's going on with me and give "the list" of various bits and pieces which are going on with me at the moment, and I would not be surprised if I have missed some in the process of making this list. What will be noted is that some of these issues are a daily issue for me and some of them are just irritations which emerge to annoy me every now and then.

1. Fibromyalgia (FM)
No surprises here. I would not be writing this blog if it was not for this condition. It is the one which causes the most issues most of the time. All of the issues impact upon this one and this one impacts upon all of the others. If it relates to pain it can be related back to FM either making it worse or better, usually worse.

2. Sarcoidosis
Update: As of late 2019 this is gone. No presence of it found in my liver as of last scan. Lungs seem to be relatively clear as well.

3. Osteoporosis
Update: As of late 2019 this is gone. The last Body Mass Density Scan said everything is back to normal.

4. Adrenal Suppression
Our good friend prednisone also caused adrenal suppression meaning that my adrenal glands are a little slow to respond to infections. The other symptoms of this one are tiredness, abdominal pain, low blood sugar and other irritations.

5. Coccydynia
"Tailbone" pain. Seems that somewhere in my exciting childhood I did some damage to my coccyx. The result is that I have issues with sitting for an extended period of time, and also rising from a seated position. There are lots of nerves which are connected to this area.

Update: after waiting on the public health system for a period of time, I finally got a coccygectomy, i.e. they removed the offending broken tailbone on 8 September 2022. I am gradually improving, some of the tailbone pain remains, but nerves are finickity things in their healing process. I am optimistic that I will eventually be able to wipe this one out as well.

6. Neck (c5-c7)
This one is a real issue as I get numbness in my fingers on both sides, though for some reason my left is definitely worse than my right. The pressure here seems to be sitting on a nerve connected to my elbow, which is not helpful, though the scans say that it should be affecting my right not my left. Probably the FM screwing things up again.

7. Gastro Oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Lots of fun with eating and digesting of foods. I have been on various different diets to attempt to improve the situation with these two, they help mildly but not so much as how much I enjoy eating what I like. The IBS is also very much connected to FM as well which is not very helpful. The GORD is also related to stress, and with this list there is no surprise that I have a little issue with stress. Not to mention that FM causes issues with swallowing.

8. OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnoea) and CSA (Central Sleep Apnoea)
Most people will be familiar with OSA where the soft palate of the mouth obstructs the breathing passage causing the person to stop breathing, and also causing snoring. CSA is a little more interesting, in this case the lungs just decide that they are not going to work and just simply stop working. The normal CPAP machine will not help with CSA, thus I have a special machine to deal with it which has variable pressure.

9. Plantar Facitis
Seems that I have been walking too much. So now I have special inner-soles for my shoes to stop my feet hurting so much because I won't stop walking. Besides it is my main mode of transport.

10. Peripheral Neuropathy
Another reason for my feet to hurt, I have almost no doubt that this has been caused by the FM indirectly or by my Neck or some other similar nerve-effect. In any case the feet are irritatingly sore and usually for no reason.

11. Migraine
These are finally under control thanks to various medications. I am very diligent in taking the medications which control these because I sure know when I don't.

12. Bone spur in Achilles' tendons
Picked up on an ultrasound when looking for something else, these only really cause me an issue when I have been on my feet for ages. Or when I have been doing lots.

13. Marfans Syndrome
This has given me some physical symptoms, mainly I have hyper-mobility through my joints, which is no help with the FM, and I seem to be still growing. Luckily I do not have any of the heart issues which seem to go along with this condition. The real issue is that I suspect that this diagnosis covered many of my FM symptoms when I was seeking a diagnosis.

14. Arthritis in thoracic spine
I have a little arthritis in my thoracic spine, my lumbar spine is in great condition. This has been causing some chest pains of late which is really annoying.

15. Asthma
The asthma has more or less disappeared. The only time that it ever appears is if I get a chest infection. Once that is cleared the asthma disappears with it so this is really a non-issue. I have not used a puffer in years.

16. Depression
With no great surprise I have some depression. This stems mainly from the chronic pain which I suffer from, but also other issues which are mainly to do with the various conditions which are listed above. It is usually the complications as a result of the conditions which cause the depression. I am not one to complain so I put on a happy face and go on with my life. I am not the sort of person to go into a hole and wallow in my pain and unhappiness of my lot.

The question must be asked as to why I have published this list of issues and mentioned how they affect me. I have done this because people have struggles which we do not know about. Most of the time they are hidden from the world because it is "not the done thing" to present them to the world because the individual seems like they are complaining.

The "R U OK?" Day is one day out of 365 where the question is asked and it is almost a rhetorical question because while people are somewhat encouraged to tell what's going on there is no more. I publish this list to say that "No, I am not OK." and I am fine with this. I have my struggles and I will continue to fight them. I have days where I find things incredibly hard. I have days where I wonder if it would not be just easier for me to just stop... everything. The thing is that I know that there are people out there who support me and who will help me through my trials and tribulations.

I will stand with all of those who are not OK. I will stand with those who are finding it hard. I will stand with all of those who are tested every day of their lives. I will stand with them and say that: I understand that it is hard, I know that you have your good days and your bad. Learn from the bad days; live for and remember the good days. To those who I call family and friends, know that I am here.

Cheers,

Henry.

No comments:

Post a Comment