Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Some Dreams Do Come True, But...

Greetings,

There are things that we all want out of life. There are things that we dream about and wish that we could have. There are some things which we cannot have and there are some which we can have. The question with regard to all of them is what are you willing to pay to get there? This entry describes something which has happened recently, which I will get to, and I will tell how I got there. However, it also will be used to see what you can do with some effort.

For many years, ever since I managed to get some experience and some students of my own, I have dreamed about running my own fencing school. This is a dream which I knew was one which was always on the outer limits of what would be possible due to many different factors. But it is one which I have thought about and talked about much. Indeed my immediate family has heard me talk about this dream a lot, and so have some of my students. I knew that this was on the outer limits due to many different factors and this is one of the reasons why it took me so long to do anything real about it.

Sure I had plans for schools many years ago, much of the documentation has been rolled into other endeavours of a similar nature, but much less long-lasting. The reason for this is because these smaller endeavours were easy and never really required much more of me than what I was doing already. So within the SCA, I have had some schools which have grown and developed. Some of these collapsed because they were too big to survive as they were, but achieved their goals. Some collapsed due to internal frictions and misunderstandings of what was required. However, as I have said these were small projects in essence. They did, however lay the foundations for what would happen later on.

If you have a dream that you want to come true, regardless of what it is, you need to put some effort into it in one way or another. Even the dream of winning millions the lotto requires you to buy at least one ticket to be in the draw. You have to be in it to win it, as has been said many times. Of course it also means that there is the chance that it will not work out, so there is the chance of failure. It is this which keeps many away, and I think what prevented me from going outside and doing what the school needed to be "real". Treat your failures as learning experiences and you will find that you can continue. This is what the failure of previous schools has taught me, and it is information that I will use.

Effort on its own will get you places, but it may not be where you want to go. You need a goal, a direction, and a plan. The goal is the end-point, the direction gives focus to your effort, and your plan guides this direction, each one is important. For some, they need to put these down on paper, for others they only need them in their heads. What I can tell you is that while the essential goal will remain the same plans will change. Plans usually change on the information given by failures or intelligences to lead you away from failures.

In my case the goal was the school, which I had for ages. The direction, well I had some to choose from, and the plan, well that was rather flexible due to the options available. In my case, what I needed was a couple of like-minded friends to really get the ball rolling and push me along a bit. They both know who they are, and they have my greatest thanks.

The school was designed to explore elements of western martial arts which were not available to practice under the current regime of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA). Now, some explanation. I will remain a member of the SCA as I have friends in that organisation and I still have things to give the organisation, however this school allows me to practice other things and investigate more. Also there are some out there who like the idea of some of the practices within the SCA, specifically the Guild of Defence, who are not interested in adopting personas or putting on period attire. Thus this is for them also as some of the structure and many of the teaching practices are the same as the Guild. This is the goal, in essence.

The direction was chosen much for me due to very external factors, primarily finances. The school will at least start as a non-profit organisation due to the current financial climate and available financial resources, however should the situation present itself, the school can and will move to a business platform, but this is for the future. So direction in this part was chosen, it was for similar reasons that the plan was modified.

The result, well let me just say that I have the final planning elements and collection of students and moneys to be made, but my dream has come true. Due to the approval given for insurance through the Australasian Living History Federation, I will be running my own school for western martial arts. So I can honestly say, that dreams do come true. Where I go from here, well it is one of those things that only the future can tell.

Cheers,

Henry.  


No comments:

Post a Comment