Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Doing Stuff

Greetings Readers,

So, the title of this one is really specific... NOT. This one is about how I deal with my condition in general and some ideas about the implementation of some of the other stuff which I have already spoken about previously. You will have to excuse the format a little as I am going to do this all off the top of my head while the ideas are flowing.

First thing about doing stuff is that it is important. It is important that you find things to do. Do not expect other people to find things for you to do, though they will in some cases. You need to find something that you want to do that is going to motivate you. This needs to be something that you are interested in and something that you are not easily distracted from. In my case I have two things, writing and fencing, or as Miyamoto Musashi would put it "the art of the pen and sword". The two work really well together.

I have all sorts of projects on the run. Some of these are for the benefit of others in the long run and some of them I am doing because I am simply interested in doing them. I will admit even the ones which are for others I do because I am also interested in them. What is really neat is when I can link on to the other.

Blogs, I have three. I have this one, I have one on fencing (http://afencersramblings.blogspot.com.au/), and I have one on Elizabethan English (http://oldewordes.blogspot.com.au/). These are designed to encourage me to write. This blog is the most personal one of the lot. The other two are more formal, though the most formal one is the Elizabethan English, for the most part. The blogs cover three different subjects and I try to make regular posts on all of them. As can be seen this ties in with my fencing... and even more than you would realise.

To be more specific I study Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA) rather than modern sport fencing. This means the instructions which I read, and techniques which result from this, come from manuals from the medieval and Renaissance period. Thus rather than a foil, epee, or sabre, my primary weapon is a rapier, though I have been investigating a bit of longsword here and there. I have found this pursuit, which I started some 20 years ago, has assisted in keeping me motivated, and more to the point my FM more under control. This is because it is movement and has me being motivated relied upon it. I have fought from a chair when my legs were giving me trouble due to the FM, this is either the definition of motivation or being too stubborn for my own good.

My interest in the English of the Elizabethan period should be a little obvious, aside from the fact that I am a history nut and enjoy reading about history, more focused on medieval and Renaissance more recently. I have one particular manual which I have been studying for quite some time, Vincentio Saviolo's "His Practice in Two Books" (http://www.umass.edu/renaissance/lord/pdfs/Saviolo_1595.pdf). No surprise it was published in 1595 and thus written in Elizabethan English. I am studying Elizabethan English in effect so I can understand the language better in order to decipher this manual better in order to be able to perform it better.

I have found that staying active in some form allows me to better cope with my FM and my level of fitness and health as been at least maintained, if not improved, because of this activity. Sure there are days when fencing is out, so I tend to do more research. Sure there are days when both are out, and that is time to rest.  Rest is something which we all need. The point is that when it is available, and you can,  you should do something with yourself, I have no doubts that this will make you feel better about yourself at least if not improve your condition.

Hey, I am not claiming that my approach works for everyone, nor am I claiming that this is some miracle cure, what I am saying is that you should give it a go and see how it goes. The feeling of accomplishment, no matter how small is an awesome feeling and it can only be good for you. Your mental state is important and constructive things which you can do to improve it can only be good.

Cheers,

Henry.

No comments:

Post a Comment