Sunday, October 9, 2022

A Statement About Words

 Greetings,

I don't usually put my political feelings on subjects regarding disabilities on this blog, but I think this one is one which needs some attention. This is a somewhat edited version of another post I made on my other blog for that purpose. If you would like to read the post in its entirety, you can read it HERE.

There is a subject that I have not broached before and I believe it is time, especially with all the talk about Inclusivity being thrown about. I am going to be specific about some words and how I feel about them. In regard to some words I am going to make a statement about how I would prefer to be addressed, in much the same way as a person of a different gender might, but we must discuss this so my intent here is clear.

I have no intention of belittling the importance of those of different sexuality or gender expressing themselves. I believe that every human being has a right to a good and happy life, regardless of their situation. This is regardless of their gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, religion, socio-economic position, or any other way some interest group may decide to divide people. Part of this is expressing themselves and being known in the way that they prefer, appropriate to their situation. 

Changing the term does not change the situation, it does not soften the situation. To give an example George Carlin once used, previously people who suffered mental stress in war, recognised in World War I, suffered from "shell shock". This was softened to "battle fatigue" in World War II. Since Vietnam we have "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder". The condition has not changed, the veterans still suffer from  the same conditions, the language has just been softened. Softened to make it more palatable to people. The same has happened with those with disabilities.

Changing the term does not change the situation, it does not soften the situation. Previously people were called "handicapped", then "disabled", now some call such individuals "differently abled", all in some measure to soften the words. To soften them so the people can be pushed aside, as though they have been dealt with, so people can feel better about themselves, so people don't have to worry so much. No. The term "differently abled" is inaccurate, and as far as I am concerned, offensive.

Here is my statement: I do not accept the definition as "differently abled". I refuse to be called such and find such a term offensive in its nature. Has a person suddenly gained some different ability due to their disability? No. The term is inaccurate, the term is offensive. I am disabled, a part of my person does not function as well as it does in a "normal" human being, this is the accurate term.

Finally, I will continue to raise these points and complain in this fashion about the use of such words and their inaccuracies until they are fixed, or until the system truly is inclusive as it claims to be, which it isn't, as I have highlighted HERE and HERE

Cheers,

Henry.

No comments:

Post a Comment