Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Coping Mechanisms

Greetings,

The previous blogs have been designed to introduce you to FM and some of the issues associated with it. This was designed to create a level of understanding so that you can understand the problems that I face having this particular condition. The important thing here is that it is understanding that I am seeking, maybe a little empathy, but sympathy is not the goal. To this point this blog will be dealing with some of the ways that I deal with having FM, and the counters which have been developed. Some of these are medical and some are things which I have worked out for myself.

One of the greatest problems with FM, aside from the varying symptoms, is its randomness. Not knowing how well you will function tomorrow leads to frustration in a lot of ways. In most instances I approach this by living day to day except for those instances where this is not possible. You can plan for some of the days where you know things are going to be a problem, but this is really only a modicum in the grand scheme of things. Medication also helps level out the ups and downs also.

The biggest element in medication is getting on to one which suits you. This requires a lot of negotiation with your doctor. I have been prescribed all sorts of medication and it took quite some time before we found a combination of medications which enabled my symptoms to be dealt with, without having any major side-effects from the individual medications or the combinations of them. Anti-depressants are the prime way for dealing with the depression associated with FM and for the most part they work quite well. Unfortunately this does not deal with all of the problems associated with the condition. They do help, but they are not the total answer to all of the problems posed by FM.

Pain is an element of FM which cannot be ignored, as much as I have tried to over the years. I have a relatively high pain tolerance, but painkillers do help quite a bit in dealing with this. Once again it is important to get a painkiller which suits you and of course, does not interact badly with the anti-depressant. There are some over-the-counter painkillers which can help take the edge off the pain associated with FM. In most instances pain is an element which is pretty much constant and the painkillers bring it down to a level which I can deal with. Of course on those good days I am actually free of pain and this is a god-send. Getting decent sleep is a great thing and helps with the condition, but it is not always possible to do this naturally. This is where sleeping tablets can help the process.

Sleep is the time when your body recovers from the day's activities and if it is not quality sleep you will not recover from the stresses of the day. Sleeping tablets can help with this and prevent a person from lying in their bed for hours thinking too much, and eventually counting the ridges in the ceiling or the amount of panels in the walls. The best sort of sleeping tablet is one that gets you to sleep and keeps you there. Of course it also needs to run its entire course before the next day comes so you do not wake up drowsy. The selection of this medication as with the other two above has to be done carefully so there are not interactions, and so the side-effects are minimised. The combination of these three medications help you to smooth out the rough patches in your existence, but never quite completely do the job. The individual also needs to find other things to assist them.

Foods which you enjoy eating are always a good thing as it encourages you to eat them. A loss of appetite in my case is usually the result of stress or pain depending on the particular situation, and of course food is fuel. Trying to run on an empty tank is bound to result in failure. My diet in general has not changed all that much from previously. There are supposed diets which help with FM, but I have never tried one. I have found that eating healthy foods which I like works much better than most diets that I have seen. This is where we will see a little irony in my case. According to some doctors, red meat, sugar and caffeine are all bad for people with fibromyalgia, along with several other things. I looked at this particular list and went "No way." This would take a great deal of things out of my diet that I actually enjoy. This is where the randomness of FM truly shows its face, especially in my case, with regard to food. I actually found that caffeine actually reduces my level of fatigue, increases my level of energy and increases my capacity to do things that I enjoy. I told my doctor about this particular situation and he told me if it works use it. The result of this is that I actually drink quite a lot of caffeinated beverages, eat what I want, and feel much better for it.

I have categorised individuals with FM into two main camps. Now, before I do this I must say that this is my classification and nothing medically based, just something that I have observed. The first group tends to be rather inactive. This is usually the result of them being afraid of being in pain due to activity. These people tend to wrap themselves up and don't tend to do much. The other group are those who decide that going out and doing things can only improve their outlook on life. These individuals go out and find active things to do and tend to push themselves in these activities. Of course this can result in them being in pain afterward, but it is the achievement that they have made which is more important to them. I have quite squarely landed myself in the second group. I have found that an increased level of activity actually improves my feelings of myself and also my pain levels.

With regard to activity, there are two types of activity that I use in order to cope with my condition. These are usually dependent on what I am able to do during the day. The first type of activity is less active. It is things like playing computer games, reading and other more inside activities. The second type of activity involves going out and actively participating in activities which involve physical activity. These activities are things such as walking, playing sports and others.

I use the less active activities on those days where I am not feeling so good. These improve the situation as I am able to see achievement in what I manage to do during that day, even if it is only achieving words written, or some game played. These activities are designed to keep the mind active while giving the body a rest. It is the self-recognition of the achievement of the activity which is important. Anyone who knows me knows that I love fencing. This is the major physical activity that I am involved in when I am feeling well. Once again it is the achievements resulted which enable the me to feel good about it. I will actually be writing a later blog about the benefits of fencing to the individual with FM. Both of these types of activity relieve a level of stress and this is important as it does improve my overall well-being.

The final coping mechanism I would like to talk about is an external one. It is not something that I take and it is not something that I do. It is something that others do for me. One of my greatest assets in coping with FM is my family and my friends. The supply a support network which has helped me a great deal in coping with my condition. This is not just through doing things for me that I can't because I am having a bad day, it is simple things like simple visits and communcation with me. A simple conversation to see how I am and what sort of issues I may be having is always helpful as it allows me to get things out of my system. This sounds really simple, but I can tell you for me this has been a hard path. I used to not talk about how I was actually feeling, I would hide my pain and discomfort as I felt that they could not help me, so why burden them? The encouragement to do the various activities that I participate in outside and also my more solitary activities has been a great asset. This level of understanding from their point of view has helped me greatly to understand that I can get help when I need it, and there really is the achievements that I only really percieved to that point in time. To these people, and you know who you are, I must say thank you, you have all helped me greatly.

While there is no recognised cure for fibromyalgia, it can be dealt with, even on a day to day basis. It is only through negotiation with others, my doctor, and friends and family that I have found that I can cope, and most of all I am not alone. Each one of these people may have suggestions for things that you can do in order to improve yourself, or may just be a friendly ear to talk to. I would not be in such a more stable condition that I am now without the help of my current doctor. Through his various medication regimes and support my symptoms for the average day are quite level. Without the combination of these coping mechanisms I would not be in the more positive situation that I am in now. I realise that I will continue to have good days and bad days, but at least with the coping mechanisms that I have developed myself and those given to me, I will push through it.

Cheers,

Henry.

No comments:

Post a Comment